Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
This dinner is a treat to your taste buds!!! You will love the light sweetness of these paired with the pineapple, bell peppers and red onion. And the chicken turns out perfectly flavorful and tender thanks to the simple marinade. Yes, preparing the kabobs can take a little time, but it’s well worth it!!! These kabobs are a crowd pleaser. Bring on that island feel tonight and get out and grill some of these island inspired kabob!
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice ( I used juice from a can of pineapple)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided, plus more for brushing grill
- 1 1/2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Hoison Sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 cups fresh cubed pineapple
- 1 bell pepper of each (red, yellow, orange) cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- In a mixing bowl whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil, rice vinegar, garlic, and Hoison sauce. Stir in 3/4 tsp pepper and season with salt if desired. Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag. Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade in refrigerator then pour remaining marinade over chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate 3 hours (meanwhile soak 10 wooden skewer sticks in water for 1 hour).
- Preheat a grill over medium heat to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, drizzle remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over red onion, bell pepper and pineapple and toss. Season red onion and bell peppers with salt and pepper, then thread red onion, bell peppers, pineapple and chicken onto skewers until all of the chicken has been used. Brush grill grates with olive oil then place skewers on grill. Grill 5 minutes then brush along tops with 1/4 cup of remaining marinade. Rotate to opposite side and brush remaining 1/4 cup of marinade on opposite side and allow to grill about 4 minutes longer, or until chicken is fully cooked. Serve warm.
- 21 Day Fix (1 red, 1 green, 1 purple)