Clean Eating Zucchini Lasagna
This is seriously one of my favorite meals! It's comfort food at it's finest but healthy! The whole family really loved this dish and it's now one of my new favorites. I totally encourage you to make this but of course use good portion control and pair it with a salad.
So here is how you make it ....
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 or 4 small zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 24 oz of low fat or 1% cottage cheese
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce
- Non fat or low fat mozzarella cheese
- Side note: The Italian blood in me just cant use a jar of spaghetti sauce. I made my own homemade sauce, which you can do too! Hint....fresh ingredients are key!! (fresh basil, garlic and parsley)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Combine onion, ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder in a skillet and brown turkey until no longer pink.
- Layer Zucchini in the bottom of your pan, then spread a layer of cottage cheese, follow that with a layer of ground turkey mixture, spread a layer of sauce on top.
- Repeat this over again. Then layer one final row of zucchini on top and cover with sauce and a little sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for 10 more minutes then remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Yes it will be a little bit runny due to the water in the zucchini, sauce and the cottage cheese. I used a slotted spoon to scoop out the lasagna which allows the liquids to stay in the dish.