Ummm....the word "like" would be an understatement. We "LOVED" this lasagna!!!! I grew up eating homemade Italian food, so I know what's good and what's not. This lasagna was a definite WINNER!!! Believe it or not, the carrots and celery give it that extra flavor. I also like the little bit of crunch that it adds. You cannot go wrong with this recipe! This is considered "clean eating" and you wouldn't know it if I didn't tell you. Try it!!!
- Whole wheat lasagna noodles (8 if you want 2 layers, 12 if you want 3 layers)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1½ jars pasta sauce
- 1 carton cottage cheese
- 1 8oz. package shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- ¾ cup real shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 green container (combined) finely chopped celery, onion, carrot
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- seasonings: oregano, basil, sea salt, pepper
1. Boil water for the noodles. Add a splash of extra virgin olive oil so the noodles don't stick. Cook noodles according to the package instructions.
2. Meanwhile, brown the ground turkey. Season with oregano, basil, salt, pepper and remove from pan.
3. Add a drizzle of EVOO to the same pan. Saute vegetables and garlic until tender.
4. Return the ground turkey to the pan.
5. Stir in pasta sauce and parsley and simmer until heated through.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg until well beaten.
7. Add the cottage cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella and ½ cup parmesan. Stir to combine with the egg until everything is well blended.
8. When the noodles are finished, rinse in colder water and pat dry.
9. Begin the lasagna layering process in a lightly-greased 13x9 pan: Sauce, noodles, cheese mixture, repeat.
10. Once you have added the final layer, pour any remaining sauce over top. Then sprinkle remaining 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan on the top.
11. Cover with foil and bake at 400 for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese on the top is bubbly.